Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Look Who's Back!

A Tree Swallow is busy claiming the vacant nesting box. Welcome back!







In other news, I attended a meeting of The Oakville Horticultural Society last night. What a nice group of people! I was able to meet a few members and everyone was very welcoming. It's quite a large group and they are very active with so many projects on the go. I was quite impressed with the variety of tours, events, workshops, guest speakers etc that they have to offer. There is a Master Gardener who is available for consultation prior to the meeting start time. I saw some people bringing in some plants, cuttings etc for help with ID and tips.

Their plant sale will take place May 15th and it sounds like it is a very successful event. I plan to visit and get some new additions for our front yard:PlantSale

Another exciting event taking place in November is "An Evening with Freeman Patterson" - a well known photographer and gardener. I encourage you to visit the site for the details. FreemanPatterson

The key speaker was Christina from Project CHIRP! This was a very interesting and exciting talk. I would encourage readers to visit her site or book her to speak to your group, class, etc. I went in feeling as though I have a fairly good background knowledge on planting for birds and came out with so many new pieces of information and so many ideas! Dave and I have already decided to naturalize the front lawn. We'll start with a small patch and then keep expanding it. I'll be posting pictures of the process. We have a large load of triple mix and mulch arriving on Thursday. We are going to be consulting with a Landscape Designer who specializes in native plants for birds. So much to look forward to!

2 comments:

  1. GOOD TO SEE! Can't wait till they come back here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so exciting when they come back! I love these guys- their colours are so vibrant and they seem to have some real "personality". They are so much fun to watch. Let me know when they arrive in your area.
    I'm also anxiously awaiting the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete