Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April 14, 2010



Dave saw a Purple Finch in the yard this morning! Very exciting as we only see them stop in once or twice a year. Last time they were here, I was the only one to see them and this morning it flew off before I was able to get a peek. Dave did get a few pictures, which is good b/c otherwise I would accuse him of lying as he has suffered from Purple Finch Envy for awhile now.




I also saw three Tree Swallows this morning. Two on the nesting box and then later three on the wire. Two of them were "talking" to each other and a third kept swooping in and then was eventually chased off by the other two. I think two are males and I'm not sure if the third was male or female. I hope they realize there are plenty of vacant nesting boxes and we have room enough for all.




Project Feeder Watch concluded on April 9th, so we're finished for another year. We'll keep our own records as usual. I also submitted the photo of the injured (or ill?) Chipping Sparrow to Bird Studies Canada and was told they will save it with the sick bird reports. They agreed that is is an odd-looking bird and suggested that it could be a strange molt or he could have feather lice. The little guy is still around, so perhaps we will be able to observe if feathers are growing back or not.

1 comment: