Saturday, April 17, 2010

Cooper's Hawk update

On March 21st, I posted about the murdered Cooper's Hawk and contacting the MNR. I've had more than one person ask about an update on this case. Unfortunately I don't have one. I've contacted the MNR to ask for a status update and have not yet heard back. I'm not sure how long such an investigation usually takes. Maybe they have chosen not to pursue it. Maybe since the hawk is already dead, this case gets put on the back burner while an understaffed agency deals with ongoing cases involving animals and areas of the environment under immediate threat. I'll keep asking for an update. I don't plan to just let this go. Hopefully I'll have some resolution to share at some point.


UPDATE 04/19/2010: I heard back from the MNR- the case is still being investigated and they will let me know if charges will be laid. That was all the information I was given.



I came across this article about a Bald Eagle that was shot and the ensuing investigation (thankfully the eagle was found by a good person and taken in for surgery and is on the road to recovery. How I wish our Cooper's had been as fortunate).

http://www.wdsu.com/news/23175365/detail.html#

Officials Seek Clues, Suspect In Bald Eagle Shooting Case
Animal Recovering At Rehabilitation Center

POSTED: 2:31 pm CDT April 16, 2010 UPDATED: 4:03 pm CDT April 16, 2010

PEARLINGTON, Miss. -- Officials with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are seeking information that will lead to the person who shot a bald eagle in late March.

The animal was found near Pearlington, Miss. -- about 40 miles east of New Orleans.

Investigators think someone shot the bird as it was perched in a tree. Passers-by found the animal and took it to the Pet Haven Veterinary Hospital, where it underwent surgery.

The eagle was treated for a broken bone and tissue damage and was transferred to a rehabilitation facility.

If the animal recovers fully, it will be released back into the wild. A Fish and Wildlife spokesman said that could happen in early June.

Shooting an eagle is a federal offense. Though no longer an endangered species, it remains under the protection of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.

The government is offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information leading to the capture and conviction of the person responsible.

Those with information are asked to call Special Agent Ben Bryant at 985-882-3756.

No comments:

Post a Comment