Friday, May 1, 2009

Red-Winged Blackbirds






Our yards and the surrounding fields have been filled with red-winged blackbirds for the last month or so. These birds are fairly common in the spring through the fall in Ontario, particularly near marshy sites. I love all their sounds. The males are have the colourful red and yellow on their wings. The females and juveniles are smaller and brown in colour. The males show up first and mix with grackles, cowbirds and other blackbirds. In fact, I'm not sure if we've seen a female yet this year (Dave?). We have seen this birds gather together in the hundreds. It's an amazing sight to see the entire front yard and back yard covered with these birds and then watch them all fly up to the trees together.



It's definitely worth listening to- I love that they are all so talkative and always making noise. I find it reminds me of wind chimes, going up and down a scale.


Here's a pic of one of my favourite red-wings:

No comments:

Post a Comment