Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak





We had our first sighting of our beloved "Rosie" this morning! I saw this bird for the first time ever last year. It was a rainy May day and I was feeling a little down. I went upstairs for some more tea and was watching out the window while waiting for the kettle whistle. Suddenly the bright, vibrant colours of Rosie caught my eye. He was so beautiful and his colours even more vivid in the rain. I was quite cheered to see him again this morning (three days sooner than we saw him last year). Hopefully he'll stick around for a bit and we'll see his female counterpart shortly. He's been busy at the sunflower seed feeder today. I know they enjoy the suet as well.




Last night the Baltimore Oriole was still around- eating the grape jelly, oranges and was also visiting our oriole feeder.




While we were watching the oriole, we noticed a new sparrow for this year too. It's the white-crowned sparrow (not to be confused with the white-throated sparrow who looks quite similar).

No comments:

Post a Comment