Thursday, July 29, 2010

Some updates


Good news!
The Red-bellied Woodpecker has at least one successful fledgling! We have observed the adult male feeding the fledgling. We don't have a picture of it yet- the fledgling was high up in the trees and then it was flying around in circles! Pretty cute and since these are my favourite feeder birds, I'm always so happy to see the next generation come along. Hopefully there may be more than one. Our first year here, we saw the adults feeding 3 babies up in the tree.

There are also high numbers of Grackles congregating in the yard. Last night, there were over 40. The massive black bird flocks will start to get together soon for fall migration. I love watching the mass of birds work their way through the skies.


Disappointing news:
Still no updates on the Bobolink vs the Development situation. I haven't heard back from our local councillor who was trying to track down a wildlife inventory of the area in question. I did not hear back from BSC or the gov't. I did receive a reply from someone my email was sent off to (I suspect from someone linked with a local naturalist group- I emailed three in the area). The person did not have a title in her email and just said yes, they are at-risk and there is probably nothing to do if the area is slated for development. Not very encouraging. I have not seen a Bobolink in the area since late May/early June. I have not seen any evidence of nesting, but again, I am no expert in that and some of the fields have since been cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment