Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bobolink concerns


Male Bobolink


Female Bobolink

In some an earlier post, I shared the link from Bird Studies Canada that "The Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) has recommended that Bobolink be added to Canada’s list of species at risk."

Then I recently learned that the fields where we observe the Bobolinks in spring are slated for development. Of course I found this very upsetting since habitat loss is the main threat to this species. I've emailed BSC and COSEWIC to inform them about this situation, provided a map showing where we've observed the birds and offered to provide dates of observation etc. So far, no response. The one field in particular has recently had a barn razed, so I'm feeling concerned that there's a time issue here. I hope to hear from someone soon. If anyone has suggestions as to other agencies I should contact, please let me know. It's disheartening when we wait until it's too late to take action to preserve habitat and save species.

12 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do about it :( They only start to care when only few remain. These Bobolinks may not even be nesting in these fields; all we can do is hope. HUGE pat on the back for trying Jen, its people like you who make a difference.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog Jenn! I had no idea you were doing this. Awesome :) ~ Daniela (from LCI)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Daniela!!! I'm glad you checked it out. I've really gotten into this over the last two years. So much fun! Well...when it's not frustrating ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nolan! Where have you disappeared to? I was on your blog a little while ago and there were no updates. I agree that you are probably right, but we have to hold onto hope. I had to give it a try. I was up at night worrying myself over it. They are probably not nesting there (at least I haven't seen evidence of it) but they do make pit stops and need the habitat to be able to do so. Thanks for checking in. I'll post when (if?) I hear from someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of development is happening here anyways? Perhaps you may have more luck writing local MPP's or you town council. Maybe if you find some nest's that may help your case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good suggestion. I'm going to pass it on to my Ward and Regional Councillors and the local community environmental groups as well. It's all slated for housing as part of the major growth that's been going on in Halton Region.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So SAD :(
    Hope you get a response soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SAD :(
    I hope you hear back from someone soon. In the meantime you should look for nests. I can give you some tip on how to find them if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any tips would be most appreciated! You can email me at jennifermarvell(at)hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Update: Councillor Allan Elgar responded to my email and he is investigating as to whether or not a bird inventory was completed. Stay tuned!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Good! Start small and work your way up! I have an idea that you might be willing to try, I'll email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. New Update:
    I haven't been able to get a copy of the wildlife observation inventory that should have been done prior to construction go-ahead. However, even if this was done, if it was NOT done while the Bobolinks were in the area, then it's of no use. They are only in the area for a short time, so if the inventory was taken in the fall/winter/early spring or even late summer, then the Bobolinks would be missed.

    This morning I've emailed the various local Naturalist groups- Hamilton, South Peel and the Halton/North Peel group to inform them of the situation and to ask if any of their members have had similar observations in the area.

    ReplyDelete