Sunday, March 21, 2010

RIP Coper's Hawk

Terrible news. Today, Dave and I found a MURDERED Cooper's Hawk. Yes, it looks like he's been shot in the chest. I called the MNR and they are coming to investigate. We took pictures, collected his remains and they will be here tomorrow. An otherwise fanastic birding weekend has been overshadowed by the loss of one of our favourites. We had just remarked earlier this morning that we hadn't seen our Coop yesterday and now we know why. I don't understand why someone would hurt an innocent bird this way. Words are just not enough.



Scroll down for pics, but they aren't pretty...






































2 comments:

  1. Let me know what happens with the MNR on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely will keep updating on this. I had a long discussion over the phone with the MNR officer yesterday. She was very sensitive to how upset I am over this. I explained how many of the neighbours here think that just b/c they live here, they can do anything they want to the land (and the animals too obviously). She said that's basically the type of person she deals with all day, every day. What a thankless job that must be! I felt better after having talked with her. We have an appointment for 11 am on Wednesday. I will definitely update here.

    ReplyDelete