Thursday, January 21, 2010

Project Feeder Watch

Totals from January 16/17. We had a very high number of Starlings on Saturday. We had quite a few House Finches and three White-Breasted Nuthatches (I think that's the highest since we saw the family of WB Nuthatches in the summer). New record high of juncos and a new low number of House Sparrows (yay!).

We also saw a large bird flying in the distance which I think may have been an eagle. Unfortunately it was moving quickly and away from us. It had an enormous wing span and was quite dark. It was much larger than the Red-Tailed Hawks we get. I just made a note of it as a "maybe". It would be great to get a confirmation on that.

On another note, yesterday I was standing outside and watching the feeders. Suddenly a hawk (I think it was Cooper's) flew between where I was standing and the house, heading towards the feeders at full speed. It was so close to me that I felt the rush of wind against the side of my face. It was a pretty cool moment and definitely the closest I have ever been to a hawk in the wild.

Checklist for FeederWatch Ontario Birds

Sharp-shinned Hawk1
Cooper's Hawk1
Red-tailed Hawk1
Mourning Dove21
Red-bellied Woodpecker1
Downy Woodpecker2
Hairy Woodpecker2
Blue Jay9
American Crow2
Black-capped Chickadee4
Red-breasted Nuthatch1
White-breasted Nuthatch3
American Robin6
European Starling20
American Tree Sparrow1
Dark-eyed Junco13
Northern Cardinal6
Brown-headed Cowbird24
House Finch10
American Goldfinch16
House Sparrow3

No comments:

Post a Comment