Thursday, December 10, 2009

The snow brings the birds out to the feeders

We finally have snow on the ground. With that, we are seeing many birds out at the feeders. I had forgotten how early the Juncos come out to the feeders in the morning. They are out there and busy while it's still dark outside. We have also been observing them being quite busy in the vegetable garden and on the wood pile. We do leave most of the flowers etc alone so that they provide another winter food source. The bok choy still has beautiful yellow flowers out there.

We also saw three male Cardinals this morning- the most we've seen at once in almost a year. There was one male we saw almost every day of the winter last year and he had a bit of a different colouring than the rest, so we nicknamed him "Rudy". I wonder if he's still around and if he'll look the same?

Aside from that, there are still many Mourning Doves, Blue Jays, Chickadees, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, White and Red Breasted Nuthatches and the male Red-Bellied Woodpecker. We have yet to see the female in months and months. I hope this guy is able to find a partner. I don't think there are too many around (based on our own observations and Project Feeder Watch and the Backyard Bird Count findings). I know I've said it before, but the RB is one of my favourites and I worry about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment