Thursday, June 11, 2009

More Nesting News

Hello world.....



There has been quite a bit of activity in the yard the last few days. The Robin has been back at the nest, making some adjustments. This could mean there will be a second round of eggs laid soon.


I saw a Killdeer taking a bath in the puddle in our driveway. It was there for quite awhile, splish-splashing around. I think these are our best pics of the killdeer to date. I had to take them from inside because I was worried if I opened the front door that it would be scared off and no one likes to be interrupted in the middle of a bath.



The Great-Crested Flycatchers (two of them) have been around more often and seem to be interested in one of the nesting boxes! They have been quite busy around the box the last two days. We'll see if they decide to stay.

We've also had a pair of House Wrens at another nesting box. The male has been taking nesting materials inside and sitting on top of the box and in the trees, singing his heart out.
This would be another first, but I have some serious reservations about this. These guys are mean to other birds- they'll invade other nesting boxes, pierce the eggs or throw the young out of the box and kill them. Not cool. I'm not sure how much space they need to prevent these attacks from happening. I'm worried. I'm worried about the Tree Swallows (whose eggs have hatched- we just have to get the time to get some pics and see what's going on). Dave saw the Tree Swallows chasing the Wren away, so maybe they're worried too. I'm also worried about the robin if they go for round two and for the flycatchers if they nest. We'll be monitoring it closely, but since the wrens are a native species we can't really interfere...but I don't like it one bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment