Wednesday, January 28, 2009

White-Breasted Nuthatch



With the impending storm today, the feeders are already quite busy and the sun is still just coming up. I thought I would write about the white-breasted nuthatch today since the last posting was about the red-breasted. We get quite a few wb nuthatches for most of the year. They are not around the feeders so much in the summer since I think there are more items to supplement their diet (namely insects). We see them at all the feeders and hopping up and down the oak trees out front. They are quite vocal and we hear them "talking" to each other. I love the colouring on these guys- the blue on their backs can be quite vibrant and I'm sure our pictures won't do them justice. It's hard to tell the male and females apart (at least at the level we're at right now). We did see a nuthatch checking out one of Dave's nesting boxes last year, but it didn't take.

No comments:

Post a Comment